The Office of Landlord Tenant Relations administers and enforces the Rent Control Ordinance, Chapter 260 of the Jersey City Municipal Code and provides education, information and referrals to city residents in connection with landlord/tenant issues.                                                                                                               

Notice of March 20, 2024 Rent Leveling Board Meeting

The meeting of the Rent Leveling Board will be held on Thursday, March 20, 2024, at 6:00 p.m. in the Board Room at 4 Jackson Square, The Holloway Building, Jersey City, New Jersey 07305.

Sunshine Notice

 If you are looking to inquire some information about a Property’s rent control status, please do so by submitting a SeeClickFix request. Just type in the Property Address, Confirm the Property Location, and select “Property Rent Control Status” under “Request Category.” Be sure to provide your phone number and email address so that the staff can sufficiently fulfill this request. (Please Note: All 1-4 Unit Properties are exempt from rent control)

ATTENTION BUISNESS OWNERS AND OWNERS OF RENTAL UNITS: As of August 5, 2022, The State of New Jersey N.J. Statute §40A:10A-1 requires that business owners and owners of a rental unit or units maintain liability insurance coverage for negligent acts and omissions in a minimum amount of $500,000 and owners of a multifamily home which is four or fewer units, one of which is owner-occupied, shall maintain liability insurance in an amount of no less than $300,000. Beginning February 28, 2023 the Office of Landlord/Tenant Relations will require this proof of insurance with every Annual Landlord Registration Statement.



Contact Info

  • phone(201) 547-4821
  • Office of Landlord/Tenant Relations
    3 Jackson Square
    (aka 342 Martin Luther King Drive)
    Jersey City, New Jersey, 07305

    Shyrone Richardson photo

    Shyrone Richardson, Director

    Office Hours:
    Monday - Friday : 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

    Last Walk-In:
    Monday - Friday : 3:30 PM

  • Directions


A tenant claiming the rent they are being charged is illegal may file an Illegal Rent Petition:

A tenant seeking a rent reduction due to the conditions of the building and/or apartment may file a Failure to Maintain Service Petition:

The Landlord must be provided with a copy of the Petition and all documents. A completed Proof of Service form, Petition, and all documents are to be submitted to the Office once the Landlord has been served.

Should you feel the need to consult with an attorney, see Legal Assistance Information below: